Places to visit< BACK
Humber Keel and Sloop
Before the Second World War, the Humber was home to both sloops and keels. They were built of either wood or iron and had almost identical hulls but had different sailing gear.
The sloops were easier to handle on the Humber and were considered to be the ‘work horses’ of the south bank with the hub of their activity being at Barton upon Humber.
The Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society is dedicated to preserving two of these traditional sailing vessels of the Humber. They are the proud owners of Amy Howson, a sloop that was built at Henry Scarr's shipyard in Beverley in 1914.The society also owns Comrade, a Humber Keel that was built in New Holland for Turner Carmichael of Hull in 1923.
The Sloop Amy Howson
The Amy Howson is a Humber Sloop, a type of sailing vessel that was once common on the Humber Estuary and its adjoining waterways. Sloops and Keels carried a wide range of cargoes including grain, chemicals, bricks, tiles and coal. The sloops were originally sea going vessels but by 1880 both sloops and keels were trading primarily on the river and its associated tributaries.
Originally named Sophia, she was bought by W H Barraclough in 1922 and renamed Amy Howson after one of his daughters. Amy has been restored to the traditional rig and colours since the preservation society acquired her in 1976.
The Humber Keel Comrade
Comrade is a Humber Keel, these vessels were used on the tidal reaches of the Humber, Trent and Ouse. They carried a wide range of cargoes. Based mostly around Hull the Keels would sometimes venture up the coast as far as Bridlington and possibly beyond, but only in good weather.
She was originally named Wanda and carried barley to Wakefield and coal back to Hull. She was renamed Comrade in 1929 when she was purchased by the Schofield family. Comrade was bought by the society in 1974 and restored to the keel’s traditional square mainsail and topsail rig.